The Government’s regular meeting - October 2020
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Ha Noi, November 11, 2020
THE GOVERNMENT’S REGULAR MEETING – OCTOBER 2020
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015; the Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Organization of the Government and the Law on Organization of Local Governments dated November 22, 2019;
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 138/2016/ND-CP dated October 01, 2016 promulgating the working regulation of the Government;
Based on the discussion of the delegates and the conclusion of the Prime Minister at the Government’s regular meeting in November 2020, held on October 30, 2020,
1. Regarding the relief and rescue work and handling of incidents caused by storms and floods, overcoming consequences of natural disasters, and stabilizing people's lives
The Central region was recently battered by consecutive storms and floods. In October, four extreme storms hit the region, of which Storm No. 9 (internationally known as Usagi) was the biggest storm over the past 20 years, causing heavy rain, widespread flooding and serious landslides in many places, severely affecting the production and life of millions of people. The Prime Minister, the Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control and the National Committee for Disaster Response, Search and Rescue directed all levels, sectors, and functional agencies, particularly the provincial People’s Committees to actively and promptly take response actions with the "Four on-spot" motto; immediately establish a frontline command center to direct flood prevention and combat, overcoming consequences, search, rescue, and evacuation of people out of dangerous areas; supply dozens of thousands of tons of relief rice and ensure the basic necessities for the people; take measures to protect essential infrastructure, contribute to minimizing the loss of life and property of the people, and provide emergency assistance to localities to overcome consequences. Leaders of these localties stayed on duty both day and night to provide immediate direction at the scene. Many leaders of the Party and the State directly came to areas affected by storms and floods to direct the recovery of the consequences and to visit affected families.
The Government shared the losses and difficulties suffered by the residents in the Central region, especially victims’ families, military officials, soldiers, and the police who died in rescue missions. At the times of difficulties and tribulations, we found radiant affection and support from the fellowmen and comrades, the solidarity, joint strength, and unanimity of the whole country turning towards the Central region. With the attention and timely direction of the Party and the State, the spirit of sharing, affection and mutual support, the whole political system, the business community and the people of the country took many practical actions to support residents in the Central region to overcome difficulties, stabilize their life as soon as possible, which demonstrated the beauty of our culture, traditions and the good nature.
The Government highly appreciated the Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, the National Committee for Disaster Response, Search and Rescue at all levels and sectors, especially localities, military and police forces, the units directly involved in the rescue and salvage, dozens of officers and soldiers, including some high-ranking officers, who disregarded all difficulties and dangers, bravely sacrificed themselves to protect people's lives and property.
In the coming time, the Government requested localities together with related ministries and branches to continue focusing on search and rescue tasks; closely monitor changes in the weather, investigate places at risk of landslides, floods or flash floods to proactively formulate plans and mobilize forces to promptly relocate people to safe places; direct and organize response and recovery activities, and provide food and medicine for people in areas affected by natural disasters, floods and landslides so that no one shall be left behind starving, suffering from cold and having no place to live; ensure environmental sanitation and epidemic prevention; support people repair damaged houses, restore damaged infrastructure to stabilize as soon as possible the life and production of people in areas hit by natural disasters. This required:
- The Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, the National Committee for Disaster Response, Search and Rescue, and localities continue to focus on directing the mobilization of necessary and urgent means and forces to conduct the rescue and searching for victims, people missing due to landslides, fishermen losing contact at sea. At the same time, they were requested to formulate plans to ensure safety for forces involved in search and rescue.
- The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment shall closely direct weather and natural disaster monitoring; vigorously apply science and technology to improve the quality and capacity of natural disaster forecast and warning; provide timely and accurate information in service of the direction and response to natural disasters.
- The Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Public Security shall direct functional forces to coordinate search, rescue and salvage activities, and support local people damaged by natural disasters, floods and storms to stabilize their life and production activities for export as soon as possible.
- The Ministry of Health shall closely coordinate with localities in promptly restoring the operation of medical establishments affected by natural disasters, storms, and floods; focus on mobilizing resources to rescue the victims. At the same time, the Ministry shall guide and recommend methods for safe water treatment, ensure environmental sanitary and effective application of disease prevention and control measures.
- The Ministry of Education and Training shall coordinate with localities damaged by natural disasters in overcoming difficulties, ensuring necessary conditions for students to go back to school soon; guide localities to adjust the plan accordingly to meet teaching and learning requirements of programs.
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with concerned ministries, agencies and localities in, urgently synthesizing local disaster assistance proposals, coordinate with the Ministry of Finance in providing assistance in terms of plant seeds and breeding animals to help restore production in areas damaged by natural disasters according to regulations.
- The Ministry of Finance shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs and concerned ministries and agencies in, urgently formulating the Government's Resolution on funding support for overcoming housing damage caused by natural disasters in a number of localities in the Central region and Central Highlands, and reporting to the Government for consideration and promulgation.
- The State Bank of Viet Nam ought to direct credit institutions and foreign bank branches to proactively review loans of people and enterprises damaged by natural disasters, and identify solutions to remove difficulties in terms of capital borrowing and loan handling for those with high risks in accordance with regulations.
- The Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with concerned ministries, agencies, and localities in reviewing, proposing and properly implementing social security policies for people in localities affected by natural disasters.
- The Ministry of Industry and Trade shall direct the provision of essential goods and supplies to people in areas damaged by natural disasters, ensure market price stabilization, and prevent the occurrence of goods scarcity, causing sudden price increase. The Ministry was assigned to direct Viet Nam Electricity Corporation to urgently restore the grid system, ensure electricity supply for daily life and production in areas affected by natural disasters.
- The Ministry of Transport shall expeditiously work out the plan to restore and repair traffic infrastructure, especially in areas with traffic interruptions; ensure traffic safety in areas damaged by natural disasters.
The Government requested the Central Committee of the Viet Nam Fatherland Front, socio-political organizations, enterprises, agencies, units, organizations, individuals and donors continue to promote the spirit of “the intact leaves protect the tattered ones”, caring for and supporting local people damaged by floods and storms so that they could overcome difficulties, losses and stabilize their lives as soon as possible. All levels, branches and localities were requested to focus on directing and removing difficulties, timely adopting appropriate support policies for the business community and the people to boost production and business activities, increase labor productivity to compensate for the lost and damages caused by natural disasters, storms and floods to the people in Central Viet Nam.
2. Regarding the implementation of Resolution No. 01/NQ-CP and socio-economic situation in the first 10 months and October of 2020
The Government unanimously agreed that: Despite various difficulties due to natural disasters, floods and epidemics, with the determination of the entire political system, the efforts of ministries, branches, localities, the people nationwide and the business community, the country's socio-economic situation observed positive changes. We continued to maintain good control over the Covid-19 pandemic, effectively preventing the disease spread to the communities, which created favorable conditions for continual economic recovery and was highly acclaimed by prestigious international organizations. [The International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecasted that in 2020 Viet Nam shall be the single country with positive economic growth among ASEAN-5 countries, and be the 4th largest GDP in Southeast Asia]. Macro-economic conditions were relatively stable. Inflation was properly controlled. The consumer price index continued its downward trend, with an average year-on-year increase of 3.71% in the first 10 months. The monetary market was stable. The stock market had positive developments. Disbursement of public investment capital continued to be the bright spot. Investment capital realized from the state budget reached 69.8% of the year plan. Viet Nam continued to attract many large-scale, high-tech foreign investment projects, contributing to promoting economic restructuring and growth. Exports increased by 4.7%; trade surplus reached a record of US$18.72 billion. Industrial production in October showed positive signs, of which processing and manufacturing was the main growth driver, up 8.3% over the same period. Total retail sales of consumer goods and services kept rising, in October by 2.4% over the previous month. The number of newly established enterprises in October increased by 18.4% and the number of enterprises returning to operation increased by 10.4% over the previous month. Healthcare, education and training, and implementation of social security policies received due attention and direction. National defense and security were strengthened, social order and safety were guaranteed. Foreign affairs and international integration were bolstered. The successful organization of the Party Congresses at all levels created trust and a new spirit in the whole society, leading to the 13th National Party Congress.
In addition to the achieved results, opportunities and advantages, the country still faced many difficulties and challenges. The Covid-19 pandemic continued to observe complicated and unpredictable developments, many countries had to reintroduce social distancing measures. Trade tensions and the risk of global instability tended to increase in many areas. In the country, complicated climate change, natural disasters, storms, and floods emerged, threatening the people's lives, and drastically affecting socio-economic activities. Thanks to the good control of the Covid-19 pandemic, the economy gradually recovered but unevenly. The service sector, especially aviation, tourism and accommodation services still declined profoundly. Industry and construction continued to be affected by supply chain disruptions, especially linkages with some major partners.
In order to achieve the highest results on socio-economic targets in 2020, for the rest of the year, the Government requested ministries, branches and localities to sustain their efforts to implement the "dual goal”, striving to achieve the annual growth rate of 2.5 - 3% while focusing on drastically implementing tasks and solutions for socio-economic recovery and development according to the Party's, the National Assembly's, the Government's resolutions and the Prime Minister's direction. Accordingly, attention was requested to focus on implementing some of the following contents:
- Ministries, agencies and localities, especially those of the two big cities of Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh, must not be subjective or neglectful in the prevention and control of the Covid-19 pandemic; organize the implementation of pandemic prevention and control measures, especially the strict control of immigration and the mandatory mask-wearing requirement in public places and crowded places. The Ministry of Health shall coordinate with ministries, branches and localities to improve the capacity of large-scale testing and treatment, the ability to trace and reserve sufficient medical supplies and equipment; proactively produce and cooperate for early access to Covid-19 vaccines. At the same time, the Ministry of Health was requested to formulate suitable solutions to create favorable conditions for professionals, investors, and skilled workers to enter and welcome citizens to return home.
- The Ministry of Planning and Investment shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Finance and ministries, branches and localities in, strictly implementing the conclusions of the Prime Minister at the national conference on promoting the disbursement of public investment capital and ODA, concessional and secured loans associated with the responsibility of the leadership in charge of this task. Special attention must be paid to site clearance and implementation of investment procedures. Ministries were requested to promote stronger private investment from both domestic and FDI sectors, and the development of new economic models.
- The State Bank of Viet Nam shall continue to operate monetary policies actively and flexibly, contributing to stabilizing macroeconomic conditions and supporting economic growth. The Bank was requested to manage credit growth appropriately, meeting credit capital needs for production and business activities, not to lower credit standards, as well as promoting non-cash payments.
- The Ministry of Industry and Trade shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with ministries, branches, and localities in identifying solutions to restore supply chains as soon as possible and promote the development of logistics and supporting industries. Attention must be paid to taking advantage of opportunities to maintain and expand export markets in accordance with signed Free Trade agreements, especially the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) and the Viet Nam-EU Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA); enhancing implementation of goods traceability solutions; properly promoting domestic consumption, organization of commodity distribution channels associated with the campaign of "Vietnamese people give priority to using Vietnamese goods"; focusing on developing e-commerce; actively developing a plan to ensure the supply of goods at the end of the year.
- The Ministry of Transport shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with concerned ministries, branches and localities in, speeding up the construction progress, completing and putting into operation projects to renovate and upgrade runways, landings and taxiways at Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat international airports, and deploying the Long Thanh international airport development project according to the plan.
- The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment shall review and assess impacts and damages caused by natural disasters, storms, and floods on hydro-meteorological forecasting activities in the Central region recently to take measures to overcome issues according to regulations. For issues beyond its authority, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment was requested to coordinate with the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Planning and Investment and concerned agencies in reporting to the Prime Minister for consideration and decision-making; assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Finance in proposing the Government to report to the National Assembly on the use of non-business environmental funding for urgent and important tasks as specified in Resolution No. 86/2019/QH14 dated 12 November 2019 of the National Assembly.
- The Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Planning and Investment, the Ministry of Finance and ministries, agencies and localities to effectively organize the implementation of Resolution No. 154/NQ-CP and Decision No. 32/2020/QD-TTg to support people and businesses facing difficulties caused by the Covid-19 pandemic as soon as possible.
- The Ministry of Education and Training shall intensify the direction, inspection and supervision of the distribution and use of textbooks and reference books at general education institutions; urgently direct the review and receipt of suggestions and recommendations, clarify responsibilities of relevant individuals and organizations to take measures to handle and adjust appropriately the contents of textbooks for grade 1 students ensuring transparency and objectivity of the revision. The Ministry was requested to improve the performance of professors 'councils at all levels, ensuring fairness and objectivity, preventing occurrence of negative behaviors in the evaluation and recognition of professors and associate professors' titles in 2020.
- The Ministry of Health shall coordinate with relevant ministries and agencies in studying and completing the legal corridor and mechanism on health insurance payment for remote medical examination and treatment; coordinate with the Viet Nam Social Insurance to strongly apply information technologies in payment of health insurance and social insurance. The Ministry of Health was assigned to review and evaluate the effectiveness of the implementation of the School Milk Program in the 2016-2020 period.
- The Ministry of Science and Technology shall review and supplement regulations on effective management, control and prevention of outdated technologies causing environmental pollution; coordinate with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment in improving the system of technical regulations and standards on environmental protection; improving and supplementing policies and focusing on developing an innovative start-up ecosystem, reforming administrative procedures, creating conditions for businesses to access incentives to support science and technology.
- The Ministry of Justice shall closely coordinate with ministries and agencies in speeding up the development of legal documents, ensuring the quality and progress as assigned, eliminating delays in the issuance of documents detailing the implementation of laws and ordinances.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with ministries and branches in, elaborating programs and plans to meticulously organize the 37th ASEAN Summit and side events. The Ministry was requested to continue properly perform tasks on citizen protection, especially in countries with complicated Covid-19 situation.
- The Ministry of National Defense shall continue to firmly grasp the situation, promptly and accurately forecast developments, especially those at sea area, in order to timely formulate a response plan, avoid being passive and unprepared; resolutely and persistently defend the national independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity.
- The Ministry of Public Security shall closely monitor the situation, proactively formulate plans and scenarios to fight hostile and reactionary forces, open focus attacks to suppress all kinds of crimes, ensuring political security, social order and safety, especially during the Lunar New Year 2021 and the 13th National Congress of the Party.
- The Ministry of Information and Communications shall direct the promotion of information and communication on achievements in the implementation of the "dual goal", measures to prevent and control the Covid-19 pandemic and overcoming consequences of natural disasters, storms and floods, honoring examples of good people, good deeds, noble sacrifices to help people prevent, combat and overcome consequences natural disasters, storms and floods. The Ministry of Information and Communications shall continue to promote e-Government development, upgrade digital infrastructure, information technology, and international broadband to deploy 5G network at national scale.
- Ha Noi was requested to urgently coordinate with the Ministry of Planning and Investment and the Ministry of Finance to speed up the arrangement of suitable offices to create favorable conditions for the National Innovation Center to perform its tasks assigned in Decision No. 1269/QD-TTg dated October 2, 2019 of the Prime Minister.
- Government members shall proactively prepare contents to fully answer and explain questions and issues raised by the National Assembly and national electors related to their respective branches and fields.
3. Regarding proposal to develop a Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Statistics
The Government unanimously approved the proposal to develop a Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Statistics.
- The Ministry of Planning and Investment was assigned to collect comments of the Government members and the appraisal opinions of the Ministry of Justice; continue to conduct a comprehensive review of indicator groups, ensuring their consistency and systematicity in order not to create gaps in the system of national statistical indicators in accordance with related specialized legal fields while still ensuring to promptly reflect socio-economic developments in the context of rapid changes in the digital economies and digital societies under the impact of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. These shall be utilized to develop a draft Law amending and supplementing Appendix on the List of National Statistical Indicators in the Law on Statistics. The Ministry of Planning and Investment was requested submit the draft Law to the Government in June 2021.
- The Ministry of Justice was assigned to synthesize a proposal to develop this Law. The Minister of Justice, as authorized by the Prime Minister, shall, on behalf of the Government, report to the Standing Committee of the National Assembly the addition of this Law project to the 2021 Law- and Ordinance-making program.
4. Regarding the draft Resolution of the Standing Committee of the National Assembly on the collection of expressway service charges through the State-funded expressway tolls.
The Ministry of Finance shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministries of Transport and Justice and relevant agencies to fully collect and provide explanations to opinions of Government members at the meeting, finalize proposals and reports to be submitted to the Standing Government for consideration and decide-making before November 15, 2020.
5. Regarding the draft Decree on tax administration applicable to enterprises with associated transactions
The Government unanimously agreed to approve the Decree on tax administration applicable to enterprises with associated transactions.
The Ministry of Finance was assigned to assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Government Office in finalizing the draft Decree and submitting it to the Prime Minister for signing.
6. Regarding policies on import tax, value added tax and corporate income tax of ventilators donated to prevent and combat the Covid-19 pandemic
The Government agreed on the proposal of the Ministry of Finance as stated in Document No. 13256/BTC-TCHQ dated October 29, 2020 regarding the contents of value added tax, corporate income tax, and import tax on components imported for the production of ventilators for Covid-19 prevention and control related to recommendations of Vingroup Joint Stock Company.
The Ministry of Finance was assigned to issue a specific list of components imported for the manufacture of ventilators to be exempt from import tax until a document announcing the termination of Covid-19 had been issued by the competent agency and instructing the customs authorities to comply with regulations.
7. Report on the implementation of the tasks and the results of the Working Group in October 2020
a) Status of task performance
- Ministries, agencies, and localities shall drastically and actively direct the completion of assigned tasks, not to leave behind any outstanding work. Ministers and heads of ministerial-level agencies shall focus on urging and drastically directing the formulation and submission of outstanding projects before November 15, 2020 and submitting projects on schedule according to work programs in November 2020.
The working group of the Prime Minister shall regularly urge and inspect the implementation of assigned tasks, especially those in relation to institutional improvement, promotion of socio-economic development, e-Government development, and administrative reform; proactively work with domestic and foreign business associations in Vietnam to grasp the difficulties, problems and barriers faced by businesses, promptly report, advise, and propose to the Government and the Prime Minister direction and resolution to deal with and remove them accordingly.
b) The promulgation of documents detailing the implementation of laws and ordinances
As assigned, ministries and ministerial-level agencies shall promptly submit outstanding detailing documents. At the same time, they were requested to speed up the drafting and submission of documents detailing the laws and ordinances that shall take effect from January 1, 2021 before November 15, 2020, to avoid continuation of document backlogs.
8. Regarding problems related to procedures for confirming origin declaration of imported road motor vehicles according to the report of the Ministry of Finance in Official Dispatch No. 11098/BTC-TCHQ dated September 14, 2020
- Ministries of: Finance, Public Security, and National Defense shall urgently amend and abolish improper regulations on origin declarations which caused difficulties for people and businesses.
- The Ministry of Public Security shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Transport, the Government Office and relevant agencies in connecting and sharing data of imported vehicles’ origin as a basis for replacing origin declaration and pilot implementation of registration and license plate number issuance on the National Public Service Portal in the fourth quarter of 2020 for nationwide implementation from 2021.
- The Ministry of National Defense shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Finance in piloting the sharing of electronic data on origins of imported vehicles to serve the registration, management and use of motor vehicles at the Ministry of National Defense. This must be completed in the second quarter of 2021./.
For reference only