Guidelines on extension of foreigners’ temporary residence due to COVID-19
VGP – The Viet Nam Immigration Department has issued guidelines on extension of temporary residence for foreigners in Viet Nam who are unable to exit Viet Nam to return home due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
1. Foreigners who entered Viet Nam on visa waiver or tourist visas (including electronic visas) and who have their permission to stay expired but do not have any sponsoring entity and cannot exit Viet Nam due to objective reasons (quarantine or airlines stopping flights, destination or transit countries closing borders…), may have the Embassy or Consulate General sponsor their extension of temporary residence for maximum 30 days while awaiting departure, and submit their application at the Viet Nam Immigration Department. Specifically:
The application for extending temporary residence must include:
- Passport/ Other travel documents equivalent to a passport;
- Application form (form NA5 according to the Ministry of Public Security’s Circular number 04/2015/TT-BCA dated January 05, 2015, stamped with the Embassy’s or Consulate General’s Seal);
- Documents proving temporary residence declaration and health declaration;
The Immigration Department will make determination within 05 working days from the day of receiving a valid and complete application as per the instructions above (in addition, a Diplomatic Note is required in case there is any additional request for special support).
Fees are paid in accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Finance.
The Embassy or Consulate General has the responsibility for overseeing its nationals who are under the Embassy’s sponsorship during their time in Viet Nam and, upon request, coordinating with competent Vietnamese authorities to resolve matters regarding the citizen.
Implementation timeframe from March 30, 2020 to April 30, 2020.
2. Regarding individuals who entered Viet Nam for business, work, labor, visiting relatives or other purposes, the Immigration Department respectfully requests that the Embassy or Consulate General direct the citizen to their sponsors (agencies, organizations or individuals) according to the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Viet Nam.
3. Individuals who overstayed their temporary residence validity period for less than 10 days because of objective reasons and force majeure situations (with documentation evidence) can be considered for administrative penalty waivers./.
By Thuy Dung
Follow us on Twitter @VNGovtPortal