Print article

Vietnamese, Cambodian diplomats hold talks

VGP - Vietnamese Foreign Minister Bui Thanh Son on Thursday held talks with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn on the occasion of his official visit to Cambodia from January 19-20.

January 21, 2022 8:09 PM GMT+7
Vietnamese, Cambodian diplomats hold talks  - Ảnh 1.

Foreign Minister Bui Thanh Son and Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn hold talks, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, January 20, 2022

At the talks, both diplomats expressed their delight at the positive development in the cooperative ties between their ministries, agencies, localities and people.

Remarkably, the bilateral trade value reached nearly US$10 billion in 2021, up around 80 percent against the previous year. 

Last year, Viet Nam poured US$89 million in four new projects in Cambodia, raising Viet Nam's total investment capital to over US$2.8 billion in 188 valid projects, ranking fifth among nations and territories investing in Cambodia. 

They agreed to continue close coordination with relevant ministries and agencies to effectively launch agreements, including crucial outcomes reached during President Nguyen Xuan Phuc's recent State visit to Cambodia. 

The two FMs pledged to make preparations for upcoming visit of their senior leaders in Viet Nam-Cambodia Friendship Year 2022 and collaborate with relevant ministries and localities to organize activities to celebrate the event.  

The two sides consented to carry out agreements on Viet Nam-Cambodia land border demarcation and marker planting, including the implementation of two legal documents signed in 2019 and effective management of 84 percent of border demarcation work completed, heading to negotiate the rest 16 percent of border demarcation. 

FM Bui affirmed that Viet Nam advocates Cambodia to fulfill its role as the Chair of ASEAN in 2022, and stands ready to join hands with Cambodia and other ASEAN nations to accelerate the implementation of ASEAN's agenda, consisting of the Five-Point Consensus of ASEAN on Myanmar issue. 

Regarding the East Sea issue, the Vietnamese diplomat underscored the importance of maintaining peace, security and stability in the region, ensuring freedom and safety of navigation and aviation, handling disputes via peaceful measures in line with international law and the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS 1982) as well as promoting negotiation and striving to reach an effective and practical Code of Conduct (COC) in accordance with international law. 

The same day, the Vietnamese FM paid courtesy calls all President of Cambodian Senate Samdech Say Chhum,President of the National Assembly Samdech Heng Samrin and Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen./.