The Law on Environmental Protection was adopted by the 14th National Assembly at its 10th sitting on November 17, 2020. This law consists of 16 Chapters and 171 Articles.
The law is expected to cut more than 40 percent of administrative procedures, and reduce the time for processing administrative procedures by approximately 20 – 85 days.
The Law on amendments and supplements to a number of articles of the Law on Handling of Administrative Violations was adopted on November 13, 2020 at the 10th sitting of the 14th National Assembly.
Under the revised Law, the maximum fine levels shall be increased in the following 10 fields:
- A fine from VND 40 million to VND 75 million shall be imposed on violations in the fields of road traffic and social evil prevention and control;
- A fine from VND 50 million to VND 75 million shall be imposed on violations in the fields of cipher, national border management and protection, and education;
- A fine from VND 50 million to VND 100 million shall be imposed on violations in the field of electricity;
- A fine from VND 100 million to VND 200 million shall be imposed on violations in the field of protection of consumer interests;
- A fine from VND 100 million to VND 250 million shall be imposed on violations in the fields of hydraulic work and press; and,
- A fine from VND 150 million to VND 500 million shall be imposed on violations in the field of real estate business.
The Law on Vietnamese workers working abroad under the contract (revised) includes eight Chapters and 74 Articles.
An employee may unilaterally terminate the contract when being abused or forced to work by employees or being sexual harassed when working abroad.
Employees working abroad do not have to pay social insurance or social income tax twice in Viet Nam or in host country or territory if Viet Nam and that country or territory have signed agreement on social insurance or double taxation.
The Law on Drug Prevention and Control, which was approved at the 11th sitting of the 14th National Assembly, comprising eight Chapters and 55 Articles.
It specifies regulations on drug prevention and control, the management of people using drugs illegally, detoxification, the responsibility of individuals, families, offices and organizations in drug prevention and control, and State management and international cooperation in the issue.
Compared to the 2000 Law on Drug Prevention and Control (revised in 2008), it regulates more forbidden behaviors, supplements regulations on the control of drug precursors, and specifies cases requiring drug tests, among others.
Notably, the 2021 law contains specific regulations on the compilation of dossiers in order to send drug addicts aged from full 12 to under 18 to compulsory detoxification establishments.
The Law on Viet Nam Border Defense specifies seven polices of the State on border defense, including supplementing specific policies for development of economy, culture, society, science, technology and diplomacy at border areas.
The Law defines that activities at border areas, border belts and restricted zones will be restricted or temporarily suspended in cases of armed conflict, terrorism, kidnapping or when notices on restriction/suspension of cross-border travel are issued by competent authorities.
The Law on amendments and supplements to a number of articles of the Law on Statistics and Appendix List of national statistical indicators of the Law on Statistics was approved at the second sitting of the 15th National Assembly.
This law is expected to better assess socio-economic performance./.
By Thuy Dung